For this exercise I used some pollyfilla and spread it evenly on a card. I divided the card in ten sections and drew (with a sharp object) different patters as a means of investigating what marks translate well on paper. It took a few days to dry and then I had to apply PVA glue so that the paint didn’t just stay on the block.

My first attempts were a disaster! Because I forgot to put some PVA glue on top of the pollyfilla. I found this method very messy. Maybe it was because the type of pollyfilla I bought. It was very thick and hard to spread and some areas became peaky which didn’t translate well on paper. I learnt that it is important to make sure the block is levelled so I don’t get higher points and so the paint sticks to the whole surface and translates better to the print.

This was a complete flop! After many attempts I was still not overwhelmed by the results. I think maybe I need to use a different brand of pollyfilla but for now I will put this idea aside and move on to other exercises. These exercises are designed for me to find the methods that work for me and clearly pollyfilla is not my friend right now. There are more samples in my sketch book which were not interesting enough to share here. I am aware of time so I have made the decision to move on and not waste time on something that doesn’t work for me.

Actually I think the block alone looks more interesting than the prints.