This exercise was a complete new technique for me. It felt like doing rubbings back at school. I experimented glueing different items and materials that I found around the house. I felt that it was important to find the materials of the same height so that when pressing on my paper all my items touch the paint and translate well on paper. My first attempts where a failure as I hadn’t put PVA glue on my collage print and the paint staid on my collage rather than on my piece of paper. making the collage plate takes planing as the PVA glue takes time to dry. I learnt that it is probably a good idea to do two or more plates at the same time so that when they dry I can do more variations and there for have more options. Planing is key when doing a collage print.

I experimented with gold paint as a first layer. After various attempts I learnt that it is good to mark the paper so that I have a guide for placement if I want to do more than one layer of paint. I used some poster paints which are thick and not that easy to spread but the end result is more tactile giving the mono-print the feeling of texture.

The second layer of paint that I chose was red as I thought it would contrast with the gold and be more effective. I learnt that it is when you apply a second layer that the mono-print becomes more interesting.

The sample as a whole isn’t wowing me but there are aspects that I enjoy. The felt circles have translated well which has surprised me as I thought the felt would of absorbed all the paint. Applying PVA glue on the felt has worked well. In future I could use felt to make a collage print as it is easy to cut and glue (this reminds me of fuzzy felt, remember that?). The sequins have created an interesting texture too as the paint has held on different parts of the sequin creating a 3D effect. The sequins hearts have not translated well. I should of known that as the paint slides of the shinny bigger surface. The metal ribbon has worked well as it has created a grid effect – I shall be using this in the future maybe for bricks in a building? The raffia zig zag ribbon has translated on a dotted series of lines (also very effective). The Rosmary has translated like a tree and the lines are very defined and clear in contrast my rose leaves are smudged and unclear. The orange cord worked out perfect for drawing lines that I want more defined. The lace didn’t work as well as I had hoped to, it hasn’t added any interest so I wont be wasting any lace for this method in the future.

On the second print collage the items that gave me an interesting mark and translated well were the coins, the safety pin, the cord and the lavender.

this exercise has been a successful tool for me to research what materials work better for creating the lines that I want to achieve. It helped me have a clearer understanding on how to create a range of marks on paper or fabric.