I looked around the house to find objects for wrapping. I thought my hole punch would be I good start. I wrapped it up with tissue first so that my shinny thread wouldn’t slip.

I wanted to make this wrapping sleek and elegant instead of completely organic. I wondered if I am taking to much control over these exercises and not allowing things to just evolve or happen almost accidentally. So I decided that I was going to try and do at least one of each. This is my planned and ordered sample. I introduced a little bit of macrame in bright yellow. I enjoy the proportions of colour: I used pale pink as the base colour and then a smaller scale/proportion in orange. I then used the macrame yellow as an accent colour. I wanted to show the ‘elegant’ shape of the hole punch? I never thought of a hole punch as elegant.

Conclusion: These exercises have made me stop and think about the shapes I am wrapping making me ask questions like: what compliments the shape and what can enhance or change the original look or purpose of the item I am wrapping?

Another thing I think has been a success in this sample is the continuation and sleek lines that the pink thread has created in two simple straight directions – horizontal and vertical. The looping on the macrame has broken that monotony and created some uncluttered circular lines.

Conclusion: For once, I have managed to do “less is more” without finding it boring and without feeling like I have lost my creative voice.

Above simple sketch of my wrapped hole puncher.

So next I did my unplanned more organic and evolving sample to see what would come out. At this point I had no preconceived ideas of what I was going to do. I wanted to see what works better and if I learn anything from working in this way. Maybe there will be a surprise something I overlooked.

I started wrapping a metal teapot with calico as it hides the original item and almost takes away its’s original identity. Calico works as a good base and it is strong and mouldable. I also used socks to elongate the handle and spout of the teapot. The socks worked well as they attach to the ends of the teapot but can be wrapped and moulded to my desired shape.

Conclusion: I realised by doing this exercise that I can attach anything and create structures and shapes. The fabric and thread can work as the “glue” that connects everything together. Also to use anything around you, even socks!

I started randomly wrapping my teapot with a strong pink thread. I added some shells just to add another texture and feel. This sample looks like something from a dream in Alice in wonderland stories.

I carried own experimenting joining two teapots an my glass water bottle.

I started by manipulating the shape that I wanted. I decided to change the direction of the upside down teapot. I secured the shape and started joining the items with calico and thread. I am amazed at how strong this becomes.

Ok, it’s interesting that the overall look has resulted in what I named a “heffalump” as it looks like a cartoony elephant standing up. I experimented with the thread trying to create some doddle effect.

Conclusion: This sample is a bit weird! I am not really sure what to think about it. All I can say is that it looks like the “heffalump” Winnie the Pooh was so scared off. We shall just say that this sample is interesting! The one thing I came away with is that I can doddle with thread and create interesting patterns.

More experiments this time with card, cotton fabric (plain white) and some fairy lights. I started wrapping some card. I poked some holes in the card and placed some fairy lights into them (battery operated) I then wrapped the card with the white fabric and started winding the cotton thread (sewing thread) to manipulate an arrive to the shape I wanted.

Conclusion: I think the thin white thread works well as it is understated. It is good to remember when I want to wrap something but I don’t want the thread to be a feature.

The shape ended up being a unicorn head, a more elegant option to my “heffalump”. I have to say these shapes where in my unconscious. I have these fantasy animals that are coming out in my work. It seems premeditated but they are not. At this point I am almost trying for my work not to be so obvious but the more I try the more obvious they are becoming.

I go back to my drawing and try and plan ideas. Below is a structure that I thought I could do with sticks and thread. It is only an idea at this point.

The image above: The threads would be intertwined creating a web.

The one below is the same but the weave would become a colourful structure to hold a net that would fit and attach to the structure. I have just had the thought that this would also look good with fairy lights inside.

With the idea above in mine I start experimenting with twigs, foam and thread. I begin by constructing a structure in a cone shape. And then I start wrapping to cover the structure.

I continue to wrap with my fuchsia and purpled two toned wool. The wool is very tactile and soft. The colour is rich. I leave some of the thread hanging playing and experimenting with different tensions.

This sample has a interesting beauty. I like how it moves and I like the colour and texture. I forgot I also added some shredded card as I thought it would add some texture. I enjoy the shape, it’s like a forest lamp shade. It definitely adds colour to a winters woodland!

Conclusion and learnings: I have learnt that although wrapping is not my favourite technique, using fabric and thread to join items could be helpful in my future work. I have also learnt that planing and designing ideas can help to know what you want to achieve but it’s not always the best outcomes. I think there needs to be room for both to create some interesting work: carefully planing and designing and let yourself go and be led by the materials and the moment.