I started this exercise experimenting with clear perspex from packaging found in my recycled box. I had previously used it for mixing my inks but found that when cutting it into strips it made a pretty texture and interesting pattern. I then poked some holes and stitched some buttons in the hole to create a joint and allows the sample to move. I know it’s simple but I am secretly pleased with this sample. The texture is a happy accident.

I experimented with different colour in card. Cutting out triangles just to see how i would manage to join them. I attached them with my sewing machine jut by joining the edges with stitch.

This resulted on a 3D shape that can be modified into different shapes. If I was doing this with fabric i would have to stiffen the fabric first.

I experimented with folding card with some of the folding methods I have used in previous exercises. I then repeated the shape attaching them from the back. The result is ok but for some reason I wasn’t finding it exciting.

I experimented with circles cut out from newspaper, attaching them with stitch to form a 3D structure. I wondered how this would work if I repeated it several times and then attached them together.

I experimented with my children’s book pages but this time cutting the center of the circles to create a hole and attach a circle similar to what I had done in previous exercises

Above: image from exercise 3 joining curved edges.

I joined two of these 3D structures with thread to allow them to move freely with the wind. I can imagine this made in metal in a huge scale being very interesting especially if it was mirrored.

Above a sketch of how it would look .I also photoshopped my structure to see how it would look in a park as a sculpture. I like this idea. I often find that when doing a sample it usually has more of a wow factor when it’s in a large scale.

I experimented with tea bags just like Barbara Cotterell did. I chose to connect them by the corners as there are pyramid shaped. I joined them with wool thread and created a pattern. I like how the empty spaces also form triangles.

Above: looking back at the image above from exercise 3 joining curved edges I went back and experimented with foam by cutting some circles and leaving them connected by the top and bottom of the circle. This method created a raised pattern. Although simple the result is very effective. I found it hard to photograph so I tried pinning it at the back to see how this would work.

The result is interesting but it is not translating well in my photography.

I went back to my paper circles inspired by my research on Barbara Cotterell. I had experimented with these on exercise 3 joining curved edges (image below). This time instead of joining them together with a weaving method with thread, I joined them by stitching them with my tangerines netting. I joined two different coloured nets and my paper circles to create a fabric with a 3d effect. If done with a bigger net this could also be used to construct a garment. sometimes I find that these samples look like nothing but at this point they are merely ideas that if developed further they can become interesting pieces.

Below: I decided to develop my 3d structure this time in a smaller scale measuring about 7 cm (roughly) in height. I decided to experiment in fabric this time. I used calico as it is stiff enough and also neutral. I find with this shape it works better if there is no pattern as pattern would take away from the overall effect.

I used an orange thread to highlight the point where all the sides of my circle meet. I should of joined the rest of the circle with cream thread to make the sample look tidier, oh well…

Above: an iPad illustration of my structure being joined to create a repetitive pattern to give me an idea of what it may look like. I like the simplicity and clear lines of this sample although I realised it is very time consuming. This sample requires precision. The circles need to be the same size to be effective. My sample is a little bit more organic, not so precise but actually the fact that my structures are different sizes has benefited the sample as it adds different heights. I can imagine this as a huge surface pattern being very interesting. I could also play with the accent colour and maybe introduce several accent colours to create a pattern.

I experimented with my iPad sketch to see what the effect would be like. It is a subtle change but I like it. I like the softness and the choise of accent colours.

Conclusion

I have been reminded in this exercise that by forming corners and angles with my chosen materials the empty spaces are just as important as the ones where there is an actual form. The negative spaces/empty spaces can have an impact while also creating a pattern.