• Part one has been a slow starter. After finishing ideas and processes I found it very had to go back to basics and experiment with simple folding paper techniques but once I started it got easier and more exciting. In retrospect it makes sense to do mixed media before ideas and processes. Somewhere along the line I have been wrongly advised… never mind I am here now!
  • Demonstration of technical and visual skills – materials, techniques, observational skills, visual awareness, design and compositional kill (40%)
  • I have been experimental with a variety of materials: metal sheets, metal mesh, plastics, fabrics, cardboard, sequins, paints, leaves and clay. I have demonstrated my composition skills, especially in project 3 Heating and fusing were I have aloud the pieces to inform me; creating samples that are balanced and visually appealing.
  • Quality of outcome – content, application of knowledge, presentation of work in a coherent manner, discernment, conceptualisation of thought, communication of ideas (20%)
  • I continue to take risks and try to push my ideas further. I try to communicate my ideas on my blog as they evolve, to show clearly the order of my discoveries. I support my knowledge with photography so that the communication of my ideas is clearer trying to make my blog visually appealing to keep the reader interested.
  • Demonstration of creativity – experimentation, invention, development of a personal voice (20%)
  • I have struggled to be as creative as I usually am in some of the exercises. In particular through project 5 puncturing and stitching. The reasons for this is because I struggled with puncturing fabrics with the tools that I had as my hands are too weak. In hindsight if better prepared I would of invested in a hand drill. I still feel that this method didn’t work for me but I realise that not all methods will result in interesting outcomes. Although frustrating this is the beauty of having the chance to investigate and experiment a selection of methods.
  • Personal voice has also been a hard one to develop when most of the time has been spent learning the methods and practicing them to become familiar; before one can be inventive and expressive. My voice has probably come through better in project 3 and some of the folding exercises. For some reason I found these exercises more fun and this reflected in my samples.
  • Content – reflection, research, critical thinking (20%)
  • I continue to work hard in this area. My research is the base of my work as it informs me of new methods and artist while feeding my work. In looking at Julie Waibel’s and Nick Cave I started to understand how to use surface distortion and manipulation to create interesting outcomes. I did my own research into folding techniques by buying a book and practising and experimenting some folding methods taking my findings further and experimenting with plastic, leather and fabric. I continue to evaluate the outcome and apply my critical thinking to see what was successful and what didn’t work and why. Sometimes I struggled with my reflection as at times the outcome seemed so obvious I felt it was self explanatory but it’s at that point when I sometimes surprise myself! Being analytical even at the simplest tasks is where I find some answers and new discoveries.
  • Looking at part one as a whole, I think I have come away having learnt some new folding methods that I am keen to explore further. I have thoroughly enjoyed fusing fabrics and plastics and anything that I came across with, at one point my husband was getting worried 😃.
  • I think part one has been successful as a whole as I have ended up with a good and interesting body of work. I have had my highs (fusing with heat and water) and I have had my lows (scratching and embossing, puncturing and stitching) but even in my lows I have been able to come out with some solutions on how I would make things work.