Tomorrow I say goodby to the body of a childhood friend, her spirit left her body two weeks ago. When I heard the news I felt my heart aching. In my grief the only way to understand my pain was to research grief. I found myself goggling grief and I felt a strange comfort in understanding what I was feeling. I learnt there is five stages of grief. I started to connect the feelings with colours.
- Stage 1-Denial and isolation: Blocking out what is truly happening and trying to hide from reality. This colour is purple (the colour of analgesia).
- Stage 2 – is anger: Anger. Anger with what has happened. Anger with one self. Anger with the person that has died. This colour is red (colour of fire and rage).
- Stage 3 – Is bargaining. Making up scenarios in our mind of how we could avoided the loss. What could we have done different?. This colour is blue – colour of peace and order).
- Stage 4 – Depression: Putting ourselves in the dark so we see nothing. Black is the culmination of all colours.
- Stage 5 – is acceptance. Having finally digested the loss, we move into the reality of it. Accepting the fact that it happened and it can not be changed, yet holding onto the memory.
- Green – Is the colour of healing and growth.
I researched the meaning of individual colours as I am so interested in colour.
– Red; Power, energy, passion, desire, speed, strength, heat, love, aggression, danger, fire, blood, war, violence, intensity, celebration, luck, Christmas and Valentine’s Day.
– Yellow: Joy, optimism, happiness, danger, sunshine, idealism, imagination, hope, summer, gold, deceit, philosophy, dishonesty, betrayal, jealousy, disease.
– green: Nature, environment, health, good luck, renewal, youth, vigor, spring, generosity, fertility, inexperience, envy, misfortune, St Patricks day, Christmas.
– Purple: Royal, nobility, spirituality, ceremony, mystery, transformation, wisdom and enlightenment.
– Orange: Energy, balance, warmth, enthusiasm, vitality, flamboyant, autumn and Halloween.
-Grey: Safety, intelligence, melancholy, modesty, dignity, maturity, soundness, functionality, old age and grief.
– Brown: Earth, home, outdoors, comfort, endurance, stability, simplicity, comfort, trees, nature and autumn.
-White: Reverence, virginity, nothing-less, cleanliness, peace, humility, precision, innocence, youth, birth, winter, snow, goodness, marriage, cold, clinical and sterility.
– Black: Power, sophistication, formality, elegancy, health, mystery, fear, evil, anonymity, unhappiness, depth, style, sad, remorse, anger, underground, technical, grief and death..
After researching the meaning of colours I felt the need to look for some photos of my friend and found myself making a pattern with the photo using photoshop. I realised I was using art as a form of therapy similar to how Louise Bourgeois used art. I was starting to use my personal experience and my feelings and releasing them in pattern making. At this point generating ideas for posible future projects.
These are the patterns I came up with. I liked the first one and thought that it would work well as a memory blanket for her three girls to wrap themselves in when feeling sad or lonely. The results are very lively and happy like my friend. My friend’s face is green signifying : renewal , generosity, safety, and harmony (I thought this was a good representation of her character and personality).
There is also red: passion, strength, intensity, celebration. Blue- depth, stability, trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, truth and Heaven. Black- sophisticated, elegant, mystery, sad, grief. Purple- Spirituality, transformation, wisdom, enlightenment. Yellow- Joy, optimism, happiness, sunshine, imagination and hope and lastly pink- sweet, nice, playful, tender,
All of these colours represent the personality of my beautiful friend who is now resting under my fathers wings.