For this exercise I have been asked to manipulate different ranges of paper to allow me to translate aspects of my selected drawings into textual results.

For this to happen I need to forget the original textiles and just analyse the markings and even the mood of my previous drawings.

I had to think what manipulation techniques would give me the most scope for translating the qualities of line, mark, surface or mood.

At first I was really dragging my feet on this exercise and struggling to carry it out as I wasn’t sure how to translate the mood or the markings without doing similar to what I had already done before, I decided to spend some time each evening  just experimenting.

I think you will be able to see the progress as you go through my photos.

With the picture above, I choose to use a puncturing manipulation technique ( my finger and thumb are still numb). I choose this technique to interpret the beautiful embroidery on my drawing of the Saree. I think it’s the best way to translate the surface of my previous drawing  and it creates a 3D surface. I found this technique showed the detail and it’s a more controled effect. I used an A4 natural organically made paper and a big needle to puncture the paper, it worked well as the paper was the right thickness and texture so as to not to tear when puncturing.

 The same method was used in the above picture, this time using blue card and translating the marks of my flower drawing made on the iPad focusing more on the lines and surface.

Both the  picture above and the one bellow  are achieved with brown wax paper and I cut and folded the paper using zig zag scissors. I was translating the marks of the collage of the  medieval  dress. The picture does not show, but the texture on this sample is almost like leather. Where I have folded the paper it has given the sample strength. Although simple,  I like this paper manipulation for the qualities I have listed above.

I experimented with weaving and layering taking some of the aspects of my flower drawings. This is one of my least favorites visually,  as I feel it’s to obvious and controlled  and maybe it would have been more interesting  if I had used different texture papers but I enjoyed experimenting  with different manipulation techniques.

For this sample I used  a cutting  and puncturing technique. This technique took some previous planning because if you cut too much,  the picture will fall to bits. I love this effect but found it time consuming and would benefit from a blade rather than scissors as that would have helped achieve sharper lines.

On these photos I used brown  tissue paper, card and leaves. I layered and punctured the different papers and leaves creating  a much more interesting texture with the puncturing sealing the layers together. The flowers I painted with a mixture of  pva glue and pink ink giving the card a shinier and 3D effect. I had loads of fun with this sample and I think it’s starting to show as I’m letting go.

I couldn’t resist taking pictures of the different effects of my sample experimenting with lighting. Placing my sample on my lamp shade creates interesting shapes and  shadows forming very pretty outcomes.

Layers of brown paper and leaves.

I  am proud of the outcome of this sample as the tissue paper, leaves and brown paper have merged together making a very interesting texture.  This sample is very tactile and the coating of pva glue has made it very flexible,  almost like fabric. This sample can be screwed up in a ball and it still retains its qualities.

The back of the same sample is purple where the paint and pva glue has sunk to the bottom layer of brown paper.

The picture doesn´t show,  but this sample has a beautiful texture, it has layers of brown paper tissue and leaves, again using the needle to puncture different motifs and joining the layers. I also stained the paper to give a more interesting outcome.

This is another one of my favorites. As I was working I was drinking water and I had a break to finish cutting the threads of a crochet top I was making and by mistake I drew all the cuttings of cotton into my water cup. I loved seeing the different color cotton all mixed up in water so I added pva glue to the mixture and a little bit of pink ink and glued it on to purple sugar paper, adding different layers of gold tissue paper and pink. I then added some gold sequins and used the neddle to puncture and create different floral motifs. This sample is a fusion of the Saree drawing and my floral one. I feel that I have captured the mood of  the Saree but completely moving away from my original drawings.

I experimented taking photos and heightened  the colour to see the outcome. I call this sample “my Indian summer”

On reflection I started this exercise thinking that I couldn’t do what was asked of me on the brief. I found it hard to understand and really didn’t look forward to experimenting on paper but now I understand why I was asked to do it and can really see my development. I am happy with some of the outcomes. Some of my experimentation wasn’t quite as successful  as the one below which was me experimenting with crocheting with paper (hehehe) but I have ended up with a library  of paper manipulation samples which I will store in a box for future exercises.

More experimentation with rose petals, ribbon, tissue paper and machine stitch. I upsolutly love the texture that all of these materials give and the delicacy of the tones.


The sample above and below are rose  petals, ribbons, news paper and plastic sandwich together to make a interesting slippery effect.

Stitching with my machine just to give my paper manipulation more strength. I think this paper manipulation works well as its easy to bend making it very flexible.

News paper, tissue paper, sequins, rose petals sandwiched together and stitched on the sawing machine making it rich in colour as well as texture and very bendable.